Translate

Lydia Lunch on Cioran

Interview excerpt

Linda Wolfe: The philosopher E.M. Cioran has had a major influence on you. Your newest record, Matrikamantra is inspired by his writings. What part of his philosophy closely parallels your own?

Lydia Lunch: Well, first and foremost, what attracts me to any writer is the language. The poetry of Cioran's writings is what draws the eye in and causes one to glut on every book you can get your hands on. The cynicism, the sarcasm, and yet there is something very sweet about his writing. Yet, I don't know where the sweetness lies. He is a forefather to my own thought, there to underline the hypocrisy, the day to day life, the struggle of the human condition, the nightmare of rising everyday. Writers like Nietzsche, Cioran, Bataille, Foucault, Deleuze, they make me laugh. Other people may find them heavy, dry.

Linda Wolfe: Cioran writes, from his book, On the Heights of Despair ... "I am displeased with everything. If they made me God, I would immediately resign..." If you were God, what would you do first?

Lydia Lunch: WHICH GOD? WHOSE GOD? GOD WHO? It's a concept I can not relate to. It's a concept that means nothing in my reality. I am energy. We are all energy. It's obvious what I do with my energy. Therefore, in my own reality, no doubt, I am goddess. You know what I do, that's why you are talking to me. I would do no different than what I do now, perhaps only on a grander scale (laughs). And if I can force more pomposity into my own life, which is questionable.

Free Williamsburg - May 2000
http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/still_fresh/may/lunch.html